Are you a woman who has reached mid life and now you are suddenly thinking where did the time go to? From getting through school, to getting married, to having children, to getting divorced or widowed, to taking care of your parents. No one would disagree that women go through lots of challenges and transitions. A woman needs strength and persistence to get through the vast array of life events. Each of us is unique in our own way striving to live the best life possible.
In her book Prime Time Women, Marti Barletta calls today’s women aged 50 to 75 years old as “the healthiest , wealthiest, most educated, active and influential generation of women in history” She says, the research indicates that a women in their 50’s and 60’s are the happiest years of their lives! Today’s women are far from over the hill. They are standing firmly on the mountain.
So how can a woman make the most of her prime time years?
Here are a few suggestions:
1. Own Your Uniqueness– You are unique in every way. Just like each Zebra in the wild has its own strip pattern- no two are alike. So are we. Unique! The human lesson we can learn is to love the skin we are in. Appreciate your uniqueness and individuality.
2. Follow Your Passion– Remember to surround yourself with the things you love to do. Keep your mind active and learn new things.
3. Take Responsibility For Your Happiness. Have faith in yourself and trust your wisdom.
4. Live in the Present– Forget about what bothered you in your past. Move on and look forward to tomorrow.
5. Remember It’s Never Too Late – Don’t let thoughts about your age enter in your head. Who says you can’t start a new job or business at age 60 or climb a mountain at 80?
6. Don’t be overwhelmed with new challenges. Take small steps towards your goals. Slow and steady wins the race.
7. Get Wise Financially– Financial literacy is not an option. It’s an obligation and a necessity. As women, we have opportunities our mothers and grandmothers never had. We need to stay focused on your finances and plan for a secure future. We need to teach our daughters about financial wellness. It’s never too late to give your financial plan a tune up.
We are here for you!
PFP | The Family Security Plan® has been working in the credit union movement since 1973 and remains committed today to unite the nationwide community by bringing valuable information about the lives of over 400,000 credit union members who know us, like us and trust us to provide them and their families the foundation for a secure future.
Let us help provide peace of mind for your family. For more information on PFP | The Family Security Plan® portfolio of supplemental insurance products, visit our product page or call 855-789-4976 to speak with a dedicated PFP | The Family Security Plan® Representative.
Written by: Robin Fox, RHU, CSA