The Movember Foundation had declared the month of November as “Movember” in a global effort to raise awareness on men’s health issues.
Since 2003, over 4 million men and women around the world have joined in the movement, raising over 559 million dollars, funding 770 men’s health projects, and changing the face of men’s health.
Why is it so important to dedicate time to raise awareness regarding men’s health?
12.1 percent of men 18 years and over are in fair or poor health.*
The trend of fair/poor health in adult men is due to a number of contributing factors*:
- A general lack of awareness exists regarding the health issues that men face such as prostate cancer, testicular cancer and mental health.
- Men are more reluctant to seek medical attention when symptoms of poor physical or mental health present themselves.
- It is important for both men and women to have a physical examination annually; however, men are statistically less likely to visit their doctor.
- Stigmas pertaining to mental health and the behaviors of men in society discourage discussions surrounding health and wellness.
Prevention and early detection are the largest components in improving men’s health on a global scale.
Did You Know: If detected and treated early, prostate cancer has a 97% recovery rate? The 5-year survival rate among men with testicular cancer is 99%?*
Take the time this Movember, and beyond, to talk about men’s health issues, encourage your loved ones to schedule a routine physical and educate yourself on maintaining good health.
Although early detection and prevention contribute to good health, we cannot ignore the facts:
- Over 233,000 men will be diagnosed with prostate cancer this year alone.*
- Approximately 8,820 men will be diagnosed with testicular cancer annually.*
In addition to knowledge, prevention and early detection, we encourage families to be prepared.
We are here for you!
PFP | The Family Security Plan® wants you to know that you are worth protecting! Our Critical Illness insurance policy provides a lump sum cash benefit paid directly to you upon the first diagnosis of a covered critical illness. Upon diagnosis, we send a check directly to you. You can use your cash benefit however you choose. To help with everyday living expenses, pay out-of-pocket medical costs or replace lost income. Your benefit is paid in full regardless of any other insurance you may have.
For more information on critical illness coverage, visit our Critical Illness Insurance page or call 855-789-4976 to speak with a dedicated PFP | The Family Security Plan® Representative.
To find more information on men’s health issues and how you can join the movement, please visit: http://us.movember.com/?home.
*Movember Foundation 2014